Sunday, June 21, 2009

Summer Reading List

Summer Reading Challenge 2009

When I first started thinking about starting a reading blog, I had no idea that there was such a rich and enthusiastic community of book bloggers out there! I searched Google for "summer reading list" and discovered this whole slew of reading challenges: Read all 82 Pulitzer Prize winning novels? I'd love to do that - one day. Read 100 plus books in a year? Yeah, right. I wish.

I've decided to start with something a little less demanding: reading at least 10 pages a day. And I found the Summer Reading Challenge 2009 on a blog called A Southern Daydreamer Reads. It starts today, so I'm making it my first ever reading challenge.

There are 93 days until this challenge ends on September 21 and 930 pages probably equals about four books; but, I'm feeling ambitious, so I'm going to round up to five. Here's my current summer reading list (titles in bold when I've finished reading):
  1. Lost and Found by Carolyn Parkhurst
  2. The Memory Keeper's Daughter
  3. Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay
  4. Born Again by Kelly Kerney
  5. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
If I end up reading fast, I'll add more books and maybe look into over overlapping with some other challenges. But I think this list is good for starters.

4 comments:

  1. I was surprised by how large the book blogging community was when I started my book blog as well. There are some great book bloggers out there, many of whom are very happy to offer advice and tips to newer bloggers.

    I've recently take part in a Bloggiesta weekend run by Natasha at Maw Books. Lots of fun and lots of great tips to improve your blog - both in appearance and content.

    I've been tempted by several reading challenges as well. I have a couple for 2009 and a couple of perpetual challenges without a time limit. It's a great incentive to read more and/or titles you might not otherwise pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan.

    Thanks for telling me about the Bloggiesta. It does look like it was a lot of fun, as well as a great opportunity to learn about blogging and connect with other book bloggers. I did read through some of the mini-challenges and I learned a LOT. I will make sure to participate in the next one!

    And I am really enjoying my first reading challenge so far. I think I am going to sign up for some of the perpetual challenges as well. They are more my speed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alison,
    I'm amazed at how many book blogs there are as well. I belong to two challenges but am considering joining a third. Susan's is my favorite though because it's stress free - and she's so lovely.

    BTW - I read nienie and cjane too!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alison,
    always nice to meet a fellow book lover.
    Good luck with your list!

    ReplyDelete