Tuesday, July 7, 2009

What I Did on My Summer Vacation

Okay, I admit it. Not only have I been a grossly negligent blogger, but I didn't write a single word between Monday, June 29th, and Saturday, July 4th. I'm claiming summer vacation as my defense. Here are some of the things I did last week instead of writing:


  • Planted a little garden, with lots of help from my friend Sue, the plant whisperer. I'm pretty proud of it. The little path to the center is strategically placed around some immovable tree roots. And there's a tomato plant, basil, lemon balm, marigolds, cilantro, lavender and some weird flowers that look like grape-flavored gum balls and are supposedly very drought tolerant, so they may actually survive my black thumbs!
  • Worked on perfecting my potato salad-making skills and learned to make an amazing blueberry sauce, which we discovered is equally tasty on top of both pancakes and ice cream.
  • Turned my storage-challenged craft room into a shining example of crafty organization.
  • Was so inspired by my new craft space that I got a how-to book, Egg Money Quilts by Eleanor Burns, a collection of 1930s Vintage quilt block samplers. There are also recipes and anecdotes about life during the Depression years. Pretty cute book; I can't wait to try out some of the patterns.
  • Went on an impromptu camping trip with Charlie to Colonial Beach, VA (on the Potomac river.) where we slept under the stars, used our cool new camping percolator and hung around with some really cute ducks.
  • Procured three more books for my To Read pile: In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan, Green Housekeeping by Ellen Sandbeck, The Forest for the Trees by Betsy Lerner
  • Finished the first book on my summer reading challenge list, and started two others.
The week was a perfect combination of productivity and relaxation, even though I (temporarily) fell off the 500 words a day bandwagon. It's nice to have a break in routine once in a while. Now I am back with a vengeance, rejuvenated and typing away, and I'll be posting my review of Lost and Found soon.

Hope everyone had a lovely holiday as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment