Thursday, July 9, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Unread

I have been thinking about adding a weekly meme or two, and I saw that Susan at Reading Upside Down is doing one called Booking Through Thursday that looks like a lot of fun. Here is the topic for this week:
An idea I got from The Toddled Dredge (via K for Kat). Here’s what she said:
“So here today I present to you an Unread Books Challenge. Give me the list or take a picture of all the books you have stacked on your bedside table, hidden under the bed or standing in your shelf – the books you have not read, but keep meaning to. The books that begin to weigh on your mind. The books that make you cover your ears in conversation and say, ‘No! Don’t give me another book to read! I can’t finish the ones I have!’ “
This meme reminds me of that Anna Quindlen quote: "I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves." I am definitely one of that kind of people! And so, here it is: photographic evidence of my book addiction:

Currently Reading
This is the stack on my living room end table, made up of books from my Summer reading challenge list, a couple of writing books, and some recent acquisitions I intend to review soon.
My Book Shelf
We recently got some new bookshelves and are reorganizing, which is why this shelf is so disheveled. A few of these are Charlie's, but most are mine and ,except for the Harry Potter series, I haven't read most of them yet. They are mainly literature, women's studies, and sociology books I collected in college. There's also some travel memoirs, historical fiction, nonfiction and the His Dark Materials series.
Books on the Nightstand
This is my other currently reading stack. These are books I've started, put down, and want to get back to, or am reading in small doses: Pride and Prejudice, Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, The Diary of a Civil War Quilt, and an anthology called The Story and Its Writer. My "Books to Check Out" reading journal is also there, but I'll save that one for another post.
Cookbooks, Craft Books and Sewing Books
This is the little shelf in my craft room, and holds mostly vegetarian cookbooks and various craft books, With the exception of How It All Vegan, which I use often, these are mostly in the To Be Read category, particularly the sewing books.

So that's my book stash. I find that most of the books I own are unread, except for how-to and reference books. Once I have read a book, I tend to lend it out or donate it so someone else can enjoy it. Am I the only one who does this?

3 comments:

  1. I love travel memoirs. They are one of my favorite genres!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have "Sewing for Dummies" on my sewing book pile as well. :-)

    I love Bill Bryson. He's one of my favourite authors and I have several of his books. Pride & Prejudice is one of my favourite classics too.

    I love your bookshelves - just like mine! I long to have beautifully arranged bookshelves, but there always seem to be more books than shelf space. I seem to end up with books stacked two deep on the shelves and piles of books on top of the bookcase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love looking through other people's books. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete