Saturday, July 11, 2009

Books to Check Out


In my last post I showed photos of my many unread books. Today I thought I'd share the contents of my copy of Books to Check Out: A Journal. (Chronicle Books, 2001.) I received this reading journal as a graduation gift from my good friend, Sarah, when I finished my B.A. In the front, she wrote: "Now that you're DONE, you can read whatever you want! So here's a little something to help you keep track of the LOOOONG list of books I know you have planned."

This is seriously an awesome gift for a reader. I love this thing. It's so cute, and it fits right in my purse. There are three sections: Books to Read, Favorite Books and Passages, and Books Borrowed and Lent, and there is a little library pocket in the back, which would probably be good for book plates or a book store gift card (like Sarah put in mine.)

The best part about this journal is that I can just jot down all of the books I've come across, or heard about on NPR, or have been recommended to me, that I couldn't get around to buying or reading right away. I can't remember now where I heard about some of these books and authors, or exactly why it was I wanted to check them out. But I've actually gotten a couple of these now, because they were on my list, and I'd never have remembered them otherwise. And it's kind of fun to look at the list once in a while and rediscover a title or author that I had forgotten all about.

Anyway, here is my running list of books and authors to check out:
  1. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards - recommended by Sarah (and on my summer reading list.)
  2. The Arsonist's Guide to Author's Homes of New England
  3. Anne Lamott - funny. read more!
  4. Samuel Beckett
  5. Leaves of Grass - Walt Whitman
  6. Emerson and Thoreau
  7. Writing Down the Bones
  8. Alice Waters
  9. Flannery O'Connor
  10. Barbara Kingsolver
  11. Billie Letts
  12. Adrianna Trigiani
  13. Sharon McCrumb
  14. Soul of a People: The WPA Writers' Project Uncovers Depression America by David A.Taylor
  15. This is All
  16. Perfect Madness - Judith Warner
  17. Making a Literary Life: Advice for Writers and Other Dreamers by Carolyn See
  18. The Forest for the Trees: An Editor's Advice to Writers by Betsy Lerner
  19. The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers
  20. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by MaryAnn Shaffer
  21. The Stories of John Cheever
  22. Cheever: a Life by Blake Bailey
  23. The Wapshot Chronicle - John Cheever
  24. Rabbit Run - John Updike
  25. The Journals of Sylvia Plath - want to re-read. get unabridged.
  26. Writings from the New Yorker 1927-1976 - E.B. White and Rebecca M. Dale
  27. Phillip Roth
  28. How to Make an American Quilt - Whitney Otto (loved the movie)
  29. Fried Green Tomatoes (again, loved the movie)
  30. One Perfect Day: The Selling of the American Wedding by Rebecca Mead
  31. The American Way of Death (1963) - Jessica Mitford
  32. The American Way of Birth (1992) - Jessica Mitford
  33. Crazy Love - Leslie Morgan Steiner
  34. Fruitful: a Real Mother in the Modern World - Anne Roiphe
  35. Second Stage - Betty Friedan
  36. At Least in the City Someone Would Hear Me Scream - Wade Rouse
If any of you are book list junkies like me and are inspired to post your own such list (or have already,) please leave a comment with a link and let me know. I'd love to see it!

2 comments:

  1. I don't keep a list of books I want to read, I keep that one in my head. But I do keep a list of books that I have finished. I have been doing it since 1995 when I got 30 pages into a book before realizing that I had already read it. And a few years ago I put the list into a spreadsheet so I can search by author.

    I just finished the Guernsey Potato book. It was really wondeful. You might want to move it to the top of your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wish my list of finished books were lengthy enough to justify a spreadsheet. You must be an avid reader!

    Yes, I have been meannng to read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. And it just seems like a good autumnal read to me. I just may take your recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete