Thursday, September 17, 2009

BBAW Meme - You and Your Reading Habits



Okay, okay. I know I'm a little late to the game. but I think I'd be a pretty crummy book blogger if I didn't acknowledge BBAW and join in on the fun. So here we go:

Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Sure. I'm a sucker for gummy bears and I just bought a popcorn popper.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of
writing in books horrify you?
I have been known to write in books all the time: underlining favorite passages, making notes in the margins. I am trying to break that habit though, and take notes on scrap paper, so I can pass the book along in good condition.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears?
I used to dog-ear pages; but don't anymore (see above.) Now I grab scrap paper, a receipt, or whatever to use as a bookmark.

Laying the book flat open?
Again, I used to do this, but try to be gentler with my books now (I am a recovering book abuser!)

Fiction, Non-fiction, or both?
I have been reading a lot of non-fiction, but am trying to read more fiction. I started this blog partly to encourage myself to explore and read more fiction (10 pages a day) and keep track of what I read.

Hard copy or audiobooks?
Print. I have never listened to an audiobook, but I would like to give it a try.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you
able to put a book down at any point?
I like to read to the ends of chapters, but I usually just read until I'm falling asleep and the words and letters are out-of-focus and running together.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?
Sometimes, but more often I jot the word down to look up later, which I may or may not get around to doing.


What are you currently reading?
I'm not as fast as some of the readers out there! I'm still reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards (but I'm almost finished.) I'm also reading a book of poetry by Patricia Neely-Dorsey, Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia: A Life in Poems, which I plan to review later this week. And then there is Schaum's Quick Guide to Writing Great Short Stories, which I just started


What is the last book you bought?
I think it was Schaum's Quick Guide to Writing Great Short Stories. The next book I intend to buy is Julie and Julia (but I also would love to read Julie Powell's blog archives, too. (I can't decide which to read first: the book or the blog?)

Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can
you read more than one at a time?
As illustrated above, I usually have a few going one time - part of why it takes me so long to finish one, I guess!


Do you have a favorite time of day and/or place to read?
Hmm. I love reading in bed late at night. I am also a fan of reading outside on nice afternoons.


Do you prefer series books or stand alone books?
I usually read stand alone books. Series books and sequels I have read are: all the Harry Potter books, the first three Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books, the Ya-Ya Sisterhood books, and both Bridget Jones books.


Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?
I keep recommending my favorite literary novels: To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee and The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. Also, I have been known to recommend Geek Love by Katherine Dunn.


How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)
First on shelves by genre, then into ever-migrating piles, then back onto shelves - it's a vicious cycle, a revolving system.

And there you have it. Check out the BBAW meme for more book blogger quirks.

No comments:

Post a Comment