Friday, September 11, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Recent Informative



Well, it seems this blog is fast becoming a mere log of my BTT-related musings; but, c'est la vie. This week's prompt:
"What’s the most informative book you’ve read recently?"
The most informative book I've read recently is Green Housekeeping by Ellen Sandbeck. It's a book about living sustainably by having fewer possessions to maintain and care for. It's very inspiring.

It's also a book of housekeeping tips for people who hate to clean (or have better things to do.) Sandbeck has handy tips to help you organize and clean everything in your house quickly and naturally. And, as an added bonus, you can learn the many ways to avoid botulism and other nasty stuff.

Another book I've read recently is Knitting Little Luxuries by Louisa Harding. This is a book of knititing patterns, so it isn't that informative unless you want to know how to knit gorgeous, frilly, lacy things for waifish models to wear at the beach in Winter (which I totally do.). The patterns are pretty, and so is the photography.

But, seriously, I wonder why is it that knitting books and magazines, in general, always seem to feature models wearing knits on the beach? Or wearing, say, a sweater and . . . underwear. When I see those photos, I think: Um, if they're cold, maybe they should put on some pants. And for that matter, why do these books, unless they specifically feature "plus-size" patterns all feature waifish models in the first place? I suppose they are like any fashion book or magazine, but I find it annoying. Real women knit; shouldn't real women model knits?

Anyway, I digress. It's late. (Or early, depending on your frame of mind.) I'm punchy. I've been writing like crazy  (just not around here.!) all week long. After the moving chaos, I needed to catch up on my article writing, submitting 9 articles over the course of 4 days.

More reviews and things coming soon; but now it's time for me to get a little shut-eye.

Happy Saturday Friday! (Did I mention it's been a long week?)

The End.

P.S..  Book review of Green Housekeeping for Suite101.
P.P.S. Book review of Knitting Little Luxuries for Suite101.

No comments:

Post a Comment