Friday, September 4, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Recent Big


What’s the biggest book you’ve read recently?
(Feel free to think “big” as size, or as popularity, or in any other way you care to interpret.)
Not that I’ve had a lot of time to read lately, but the biggest book – in terms of popularity -  that I have read recently is The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards. Actually, I am currently reading it as part of my Summer Reading Challenge. I’m about 150 pages in, and it’s fabulous. 
The book was recommended to me by my friend Sarah. Otherwise, I dont know that I'd have chosen to read it (especially since I happened to catch the made for television movie and didn't think it was that good.) But I am really enjoying this book, which begins when a doctor tells his wife that their daughter died at birth when, really, he has ordered a nurse to take the infant girl, who has Down syndrome, to an institution. The nurse, however, refuses to condemn the baby to such a life, and runs away with her, to raise as her own. I am really enjoying both the story that unfolds and the beauty of the writing. I keep pausing to reread particularly descriptive or lyrical sentences. It's the kind of writing that inspires me to write.



1 comment:

  1. Great pick! I read The Memory Keeper's Daughter a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Just the other day I watched the made-for-TV movie adaptation and liked it much more than I thought I would. I'd recommend it, but wait a while after you finish the book. I think I liked it because the book wasn't still fresh in my mind :)

    ReplyDelete