Thursday, September 24, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Recent Sadness

 

It's BTT day again. This week's inquiry:
What’s the saddest book you’ve read recently?

(Is anybody getting bored with this series of “recent” questions? Because I’m having fun!)
I had to think really hard about this one and, after realizing that I don't read that many "sad" novels, I was going to skip it. Then I remembered this book, Sex Trafficking by Kathryn Farr. This was assigned reading for a seminar on women and globalization. It's about the one milion women and children who are forced to into sex slavery each year, and the social, political and economic forces that enable this crime. And it's sad, because it's true.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants some really eye-opening insight into a (sadly) overlooked problem. If you're the kind of person who likes those Dateline NBC and 20/20 type investigative reports, you might like to read this book. But it is probably the most depressing book I've ever read.

5 comments:

  1. That does sound like a very sad (though informative) book. Think it's probably a little too intense for me - I mostly stay away from really sad reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's definitely not a feel-good book, but informative, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked that book; obviously the subject is intense, disturbing, and sad, but for people unfamiliar with the extent of sexual and human trafficking it's a great read. Read it for a gender and violence class I took in college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, melancholy cat. Thank you for pointing out that this is actually a good book! I liked it too, I think I forgot to mention that in my post because I was just thinking about how the women's stories and the statistics affected me when I read it.

    ReplyDelete