Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Teaser Tuesday: Vinegar Hill - A. Manette Ansay

It seems like everyone's doin' it these days: the Teaser Tuesdays meme, that is. I'm not sure where I first saw this as I have come across a lot of really great book blogs lately. But anyway, here is how it works.
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
I am currently reading Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay. I just started reading it the other day and am only a few pages in. Here's the teaser:

 "Powdered milk is cheaper," Mary-Margaret says, looking at the milk jug. Her eyes are red behind her bifocals, and the veins in her forehead stand out in a pattern that reminds Ellen of stained glass (p. 40).
It's probably not the best most telling teaser for this novel, which is described as a "chilling" and "brilliant, bitter book."

Check out more teasers over here!

7 comments:

  1. Wow. Makes you wonder what the deal is...why cheaper means so much, why she's stressed (red eyes, veins). Great teaser!

    You can check out mine here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how that can happen with your teaser, isn't it? Does give you a feel for the writing, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having to buy powered milk sounds pretty chilling to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it may not be the most exciting teaser, but it does make me curious about the book. Sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good teaser! Looks intriguing; I've been wondering whether to buy that book. Maybe I should. :)

    My teaser can be found here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laya, I haven't gotten far enough in this book to definitely recommend it, but I have read Ansay's short story collection, "Read This and Tell Me What It Says" and it is really good, so I can definitely recommend that.

    And Alita - good one, he he. I would think of NON-powdered milk as more "chilling" ;)

    ReplyDelete