Thursday, October 22, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - One Question




 This week's BTT prompt is just too good:
If you could ask your favorite author (alive or dead) one question … who would you ask, and what would the question be?
I'm sorry. I have to cheat, because one question is just not enough. I'd ask Harper Lee why she hasn't published another novel (even though I am pretty sure I already know the answer), whether or not she still writes, and what does she think about this biography of her life.I'd also ask Sherwood Anderson to tell me about his inspirations for Winesburg, Ohio. And I'd  take a cue from Jess's response at Start Narrative Here and ask them both about their creative processes. 

And I'll probably be thinking for days of more questions to ask other authors, too.

What about you? What question(s) would you ask your favorite author?

8 comments:

  1. What's your theory on HL then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She started another novel but it was never finished/ published. Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee, the biography linked in my post, offers anecdotal evidence that she felt pressured to live up to the success of To Kill a Mockingbird, drank too much, and also desired to stay out of the public eye.

    Personally, I think it was mostly the first one: she was probably paralyzed by the thought of the second novel not living up to the phenomenal success of her first one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, no one but Lee could say for sure, which is why the thought of having a conversation with a favorite author is so thrilling, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your Sherwood Anderson answer, especially since I am a creative process freak myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love another book by Harper Lee. But that one book was such a great work, I guess I should be satisfied. Good choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah ok, that's interesting. I don't know much about her although I have read TKaM and loved it. I wanted to read I am Scout (a biography) but haven't gotten around to it. Perhaps that would answer some questions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Am Scout and the the biography I read are both by the same author. The one I read, Mockingbird was good - insightful and thorough (and I learned a lot about Truman Capote's life and career from it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great BTT prompt--and answer! I'm bummed I missed posting on this one. But man, I'd have trouble narrowing it down to one author.

    ReplyDelete