Friday, October 30, 2009

Book Review: Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms by Jane Doiron


Author: Jane Doiron
Publisher: Outskirts Press, 2009
Price: $17.95 U.S.
ISBN: 978-1-4327-2086-5
Read it: to find something good to make for dinner tomorrow (or next week.)

I <3 this cookbook!

I'm not really a great cook. And Charlie is kind of picky. That means we eat out a lot, which can get kind of expensive.  Or we eat the same  things again and again that I know I can make and that Charlie will eat. And that's kind of boring.

But we've been eating really well for the past few weeks: stuffed mushrooms, broiled salmon, cheesy casseroles, zucchini parmesan, taco pie,  blueberry muffin bread, mini cheesecakes - all kinds of yummyness. I've been trying out these make-ahead recipes (I just substituted veg proteins for the ground beef and chicken recipes, and used soy milk in the baked goods.) and they all came out awesome, which makes me feel like a pretty awesome cook.

And the concept - that you do all the shopping and chopping and grating and sauteeing when you have time, and stick the meal in the fridge or freezer until you are ready to heat it and eat it, is not just good for busy moms, but busy writers too. I'm going to make up a few of these dishes this weekend and store them in preparation for NaNoWriMo.

Check out Jane's blog,
http://makeaheadmealsforbusymoms.blogspot.com/

And while you're there, learn how to win a copy of her book for your very own
(you can't have mine. I am so keeping it.)

Related article: My review of this book for Suite101.

(And yes, Big Brother FCC, I did receive a copy of this book to review, but I am not under any obligation to say nice things about it.)


No comments:

Post a Comment