Friday, November 6, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - It's All About Me

It's Booking Through Thursday time again:
Which do you prefer? Biographies written about someone? Or Autobiographies written by the actual person (and/or ghost-writer)?
Personally, I prefer autobiographies written by the actual person. I have never stopped to consider whether they are ghostwritten or not. But most of the autobiographies and memoirs I have read were about writers' lives so I will assume they aren't ghostwritten.

I think that biographies can sometimes by speculative and invasive, and just don't seem as genuine to me as an autobiography. But then, what I really like to read are authors' published journals.

What about you? Which do you prefer?

2 comments:

  1. I agree about the journals. I also like to read correspondence. Beyond that, I like both autiobio/memoir and biography. I like the personal point of view, but I think biography is interesting because it says something both about the subject and the present culture. I like to see how perceptions change over time, or to see a more obscure figure recognized and placed in history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eveningreader - Those are very good points. I agree that these are all good reasons to read biographies and journals.

    ReplyDelete