Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Teaser Tuesday - Once Again to Zelda

I have been reading (and thoroughly enjoying) Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible for a few weeks now, but still haven't quite finished it. So this week Teaser Tuesdays is not just a teaser for you, but one for me as well.

 Once Again to Zelda: The Stories Behind Literature's Most Intriguing Dedications by Marlene Wagman-Geller is the book from my Fall Into Reading list that I'd like to take on next. Since it is about novels and novelists, and also has very short chapters and no long, linear narrative, I think it's the perfect book for me to read in little spurts during NaNoWriMo

A teaser from chapter 6: which concerns the dedication of Dostoyevsky's, The Brothers Karamazov: "[Dostoyevsky] had made a bet with his publisher that he would submit his next novel within the next eighteen months. The consequence for his failure to meet the November 1 deadline was he would lose his publishing rights for all his works, including all past, present, amd future novels" (28).

I'm not sure what exactly that bit has to do with the dedication (to Anna Grigorevna Dostoyevsky,) but I can tell already that I am going to like this book. I really enjoy reading about authors' life stories and idiosyncrasies.

3 comments:

  1. It does sound interesting. Worth checking out.

    http://aliteratus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's one heck of a deal! Great teaser.

    ReplyDelete