Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Teaser Tuesday - The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

For Teaser Tuesdays this week, let me share two sentences from Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible:
"Nathan, meanwhile, wrapped himself up in the salvation of Kilanga. Nathan as a boy played football on his high school team kn Killdeer, Mississippi, with great success evidently, and expected his winning season to continue ever after" (96).
I have read about one third of Poisonwood so far. I read a lot of good things about it on others' book blogs before adding it to my Fall reading list. And I am not disappointed

It did take me close to 100 pages to really get into the story, but the narrators kept me interested from the beginning, Adah being my favorite. Now I'm at the point where the political conflict starts to ntensify, and I can't wait to see what happens!





4 comments:

  1. Hope Nathan's winning season goes on and on, but I have a feeling something's likely to change all that. I've got this one on my TBR list. Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been interested in this book for quite some time. Was going to try to get our book club to read it. think it is a good book club read?

    Here's my Teaser! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adah was my favorite too! You'll like her even more as the book progresses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendi - I have never actully participated in a book club, but The Poisowood Bible would be a good choice because it brings up so many political and social and psychological themes: Colonialism, religion, Patriartchy, war, poverty, racial and ethnic tensions, family dynamics, characters with physical challenges...

    ReplyDelete